Possibility Storm: Aether Revolt Puzzle #5
Welcome back to Possibility Storm, the weekly MTG puzzle series, available exclusively through MTGCanada and PossibilityStorm.com.
We hope you enjoyed last week’s puzzle. We’ve got another for you today, so scroll down and have at it!
Also, for those of you considering becoming a Patron, Possibility Storm will be giving away a booster box of Amonkhet to randomly drawn Patron among all those who sign up by April 26. That’s also the first day of our Amonkhet seasonal leaderboard, so you’ve got lots of incentive to sign up before then. Links for Patreon are below the puzzle.
(Click to enlarge)
Think you’ve got it? Check your answer against the solution below:
[toggle title=”Click here to expand the solution.”]
- Cast Fourth Bridge Prowler, targeting the opposing Servo token with its triggered ability, killing the Servo.
- Cast Night Market Lookout. Crew the Aethersphere Harvester with each Night Market Lookout**. For each Lookout tapped to crew it, their abilities trigger and drains the opponent for 1 life each. [2 x 1 = 2] These two instances of gaining one life in turn trigger Defiant Bloodlord’s ability twice. [2 x 1 = +2 = 4] Crew is an activated ability, so each of these two Crew instances trigger Crackdown Construct’s ability. It gets +2/+2, and is now a 4/4.
- Crew the Aethersphere Harvester with the Defiant Bloodlord, Fourth Bridge Prowler, and itself (since it is now a creature.) Each triggers Crackdown Construct again, giving it +3/+3, making it now a 7/7.
- Equip Captain’s Claws to Crackdown Construct three times. (Or to anything for the first two times, but Crackdown Construct the last time.) Equip is also an activated ability, so each of these three Equip instances trigger Crackdown Construct, giving it +3/+3 and making it now a 10/10.. Crackdown Construct gets +1/+0 from the Captain’s Claws, making it an 11/10.
- Attack with the 11/10 Crackdown Construct. Captain’s Claws triggers and creates a 1/1 attacking Kor Ally token. The opponent’s only blockers can only block flying creatures, so 12 damage comes through, bringing the total to 16 for lethal.
(**Note: It is also possible to attack with the non-summoning sick Night Market Lookout, crewing only with the new one, and get to the same total. The solution is effectively the same, but substitutes one +1/+1 trigger on the Crackdown Construct with one damage from the unblocked Lookout.)
Does something needs clarification? Check out the official Rules and Assumptions to see if your answer lies within.
How did you do? Tune in again next Wednesday for the next puzzle in this series.
Want to puzzle at a higher competition level?
For those interested in an element of competition involved, direct participants in the project, through its Patreon campaign, will get access to the puzzles one week early, have sixty hours to submit your solution, and compete in a seasonal leaderboard for Magic: The Gathering prizes!
Thanks and see you next week!