Amonkhet Puzzle #1
Welcome back to Possibility Storm, the weekly MTG puzzle series, available exclusively through MTGCanada and PossibilityStorm.com.
We hope you enjoyed last week’s puzzle. We’ve got another for you today, so scroll down and have at it!
(Click to enlarge)
Think you’ve got it? Check your answer against the solution below:
[toggle title=”Click here to expand the solution.”]
- Cast Brilliant Spectrum (ideally using both colours, but it doesn’t actually matter.) Discarding two cards triggers Archfiend of Ifnir‘s ability twice, and when each of these counters are placed on opposing creatures, Winding Constrictor adds another. In total, each opposing creature gets -4/-4 during this step. Rishkar and Tireless Tracker die. Shadowstorm Vizier also triggers twice, and gets +2/+2, and is now a 3/5.
- Cycle Horror of the Broken Lands. Your opponent’s remaining creatures each get -2/-2 worth of counters, and Shadowstorm Vizier gets bumped up to 4/6.
- Cycle Floodwaters. You opponent’s remaining creatures each get -2/-2 worth of counters (Winding Constrictor dies), and Shadowstorm Vizier gets bumped up to 5/7.
- Discard any card remaining in your hand to Stromkirk Condemned‘s ability. This gives it one +1/+1 counter to make it a 3/3, gives your opponent’s remaining creatures another -1/-1 worth of counters (killing the Verdurous Gearhulk), and Shadowstorm Vizier gets bumped up to 6/8.
- With a board clear of blockers, attack with your 5/4 Archfriend, 6/8 Vizier, and 3/3 Vampire, for a total of 14 damage for lethal.
Does something needs clarification? Check out the official Rules and Assumptions to see if your answer lies within.
How did you do? Tune in again next Wednesday for the next puzzle in this series.
Want to puzzle at a higher competition level?
For those interested in an element of competition involved, direct participants in the project, through its Patreon campaign, will get access to the puzzles one week early, and get to submit solutions to earn points and compete in a seasonal leaderboard for spicy Magic: The Gathering prizes, generously provided by our very own MTGCanada.com!
Thanks and see you next week!