Rivals of Ixalan Preview Puzzle #2
Welcome back to Possibility Storm, the weekly MTG puzzle series available exclusively through MTGCanada and PossibilityStorm.com.
Here’s our second Rivals of Ixalan preview puzzle. Remember, solving it is about the Journey, not the destination.
(Click to enlarge)
Think you’ve got it? Check your answer against the solution below:
[toggle title=”Click here to expand the solution.”]
There may actually be one other way to beat this puzzle, but it’s still awfully similar. Think you can find it? Here is the official solution:
- Cast Resilient Khenra. Target Demon of Dark Schemes with its ETB trigger to make it a 7/7.
- Cast Journey to Eternity on Resilient Khenra, then sacrifice it to Defiant Salvager (putting a +1/+1 counter on it to make it a 3/3.) Demon of Dark Schemes gains you one energy.
- Journey triggers and returns Resilient Khenra, while also returning transformed itself as Atzal, Cave of Eternity. Target Demon of Dark Schemes with the Khenra’s ETB trigger again to make it a 9/9.
- Sacrifice Resilient Khenra and two of your other creatures to Defiant Salvager (making it a 6/6 – unless you sacrificed it to itself), gaining three more energy.
- Use your remaining mana and four energy to activate Demon of Dark Schemes’ ability, returning Resilient Khenra to the battlefield once again. Target Demon of Dark Schemes with its ETB to make it an 11/11.
- Swing for 11 in the air – they have nothing that can block fliers, so you connect for lethal.
Does something need clarification? Check out the official Rules and Assumptions to see if your answer lies within.
How did you do? Tune in again next Monday for the next puzzle in this series.
Want to puzzle for prizes?
Possibility Storm Patrons get some extra perks like prize draws and early puzzle access. Competitive Patrons also submit answers, earn points on our seasonal leaderboard, and take home so sweet prizes for finishing in top spots!
The Rivals of Ixalan season opens on January 16. Take a peek and see if it’s for you. We appreciate both your engagement and your support.
Thanks and see you next week!