Can you SURVIVE this turn?
Welcome back to Possibility Storm, the weekly MTG puzzle series available exclusively through MTGCanada and PossibilityStorm.com.
We dropped this week’s puzzle on the way to posting it. Sorry if it looks a little scrambled…!
We’ve got a few more fun puzzles like this one coming between now and when our next competitive season starts for Rivals of Ixalan on January 16. Check the Patreon for more details!
(Click to enlarge)
Think you’ve got it? Check your answer against the solution below:
[toggle title=”Click here to expand the solution.”]
As always, there is only one way to “beat” this puzzle, and it’s all about choosing the right card(s). Give them too many and they have a lot of tools at their disposal. Give them too few and we bleed ourselves to death.
Let’s look at scenarios:
- If we give them everything with their Sword-Point Diplomacy, we stay at 10. They cast Sanctum Seeker, and then Bishop of the Bloodstained. Bishop trigger hits us for 6, then Sanctum Seeker’s attack trigger plus Vicious Conquistador puts us at -1.
- Similarly, if we give them only Sanctum Seeker and Bishop, the same applies but we start at 7 and just die harder.
- If we give them Vraska’s Contempt and either Vampire, we start at 7. They kill one of our blockers, play the Bishop (drains 5 on ETB) or Sanctum Seeker (drains 4 on attack), attack (trigger 1 damage from Conquistador), and get through for a minimum of 2 attack damage. At minimum, that puts us to 0.
- If we give them only either of the Vampires, we start at 4. Bishop drains for 5 and Sanctum Seeker drains for 4 on attack. Either way = DED.
- If we give them nothing, we go down to 1 and take 2 during attacks (1 from Conquistador trigger, 1 getting through) to go to -1.
- Which leaves one remaining line: Give them only Vraska’s Contempt. We start at 4, they kill a blocker, then attack getting in 1 from the Conquistador trigger, and 2 combat damage. We survive at 1!
Does something need clarification? Check out the official Rules and Assumptions to see if your answer lies within.
How did you do? Tune in again next Monday for the next puzzle in this series.
Want to puzzle for prizes?
Possibility Storm Patrons get some extra perks like prize draws and early puzzle access. Competitive Patrons also submit answers, earn points on our seasonal leaderboard, and take home so sweet prizes for finishing in top spots! Take a peek and see if it’s for you. We appreciate both your engagement and your support.
Thanks and see you next week!