Amonkhet Puzzle #9
Welcome back to Possibility Storm, the weekly MTG puzzle series, available exclusively through MTGCanada and PossibilityStorm.com.
We’re back with yet another puzzle – the last of the Amonkhet season, actually! We’ll continue posting puzzles in each of the next few weeks, but the next competitive season for Hour of Devastation starts July 19. Sign up on the Patreon to compete for prizes!
The solution for this week’s puzzle can be found below the image. It’s a complicated one, so if you’re going to give it a go before checking out the answer, you might want to find your favourite way to keep track of your steps. And the triggers… oh the triggers.
(Click to enlarge)
Think you’ve got it? Check your answer against the solution below:
[toggle title=”Click here to expand the solution.”]
- Cast Metallic Mimic, naming “Servo”.
- Trespasser’s Curse triggers twice. When it resolves, you will have dropped to 5, and your opponent has come up to 4.
- Olivia triggers twice. Ignore one of them, and discard a Swamp to make the Mimic a 3/2 haste Servo Vampire Shapeshifter.
- Putting the counter on the Mimic triggers Animation Module. Choose to pay 1 to make a 1/1 Servo, which enters the battlefield as a 2/2 thanks to Metallic Mimic.
- Here we go again. Trespasser’s Curse doubled takes you to 3 and your opponent to 6.
- Olivia triggers twice. Choose to discard twice, pitching the Bloodhall Priest and the Warfire Javelineer to make the Servo a 4/4 with haste.
- Animation Module triggers. Twice. Ignore it, and ignore it.
- As Bloodhall Priest is discarded, its Madness ability triggers. Choose to cast it, finishing off your mana. You still have a card in hand, so its ETB ability does NOT trigger and does NOT go on the stack.
- Oh boy, more Trespasser’s Curse. You’re down to 1, versus 8.
- More Olivia. You only have one card left, so you can only use the ability once. Pitch your Essence Extraction to make the Priest a 5/5 with haste.
- Animation Module triggers, but you have no mana, so ignore it.
- We’re finally at 2! Go lie down for a bit.
- With a 3/3, 3/2, 4/4, and 5/5, all able to attack, attacking with all looks pretty good.
- Now your hand is empty, so Bloodhall Priest’s ability triggers. Ping the opponent for 2, bringing them to 6.
- They have only two blockers, so their best block lets 6 through for lethal.
Does something needs clarification? Check out the official Rules and Assumptions to see if your answer lies within.
How did you do? Tune in again next Wednesday for the next puzzle in this series.
Want to puzzle at a higher competition level?
For those interested in an element of competition involved, direct participants in the project, through its Patreon campaign, will get access to the puzzles one week early, and get to submit solutions to earn points and compete in a seasonal leaderboard for spicy Magic: The Gathering prizes, generously provided by our very own MTGCanada.com!
Thanks and see you next week!