056. How Much Damage Can You Deal? (AEther Revolt Throwback Edition)
Welcome back to Possibility Storm, the weekly MTG puzzle series available exclusively through MTGCanada and PossibilityStorm.com.
This week we have something a bit different that we haven’t done in a little while. Rather than solving for a specific amount of damage, this week’s puzzle is all about optimizing the maximum number you think you can possibly achieve!
The answer below is the best that someone has come up with so far. Do you think you can beat it?
Think you’ve got it? Check your answer against the solution below:
[toggle title=”Click here to see the max damage achieved so far.”]
- Cast Walking Ballista paying GG. Trigger Fabrication Module and Decoction Module to gain E and give Walking Ballista a +1/+1 counter (2/2).
- Cast Sram’s Expertise for WW and tapping Inspiring Statuary and Fabrication Module. Free-cast Nature’s Way targeting Crackdown Construct (2/2 Trample Vigilance).
- Get 3 Servos. Triggers from the modules gain 3E and give Walking Ballista 3 +1/+1 counters (5/5). Nature’s Way resolves, killing one of opponent’s Servos (9 remaining).
- Crew Cultivator’s Caravan with Walking Ballista (+1/+1 to Crackdown Construct – 3/3).
- Cast Engineered Might using GW and tapping 2 Servos and Decoction Module. Target Cultivator’s Caravan to give it +5/+5 and trample (10/10 Trample).
- Activate Walking Ballista 5 times to kill 5 of your opponent’s servos (4 remaining). Constructed Construct gains +5/+5 (8/8).
- Attack with 10/10 trample Caravan and 8/8 trample vigilance Construct.
- Tap Construct to crew Caravan, construct is a 9/9 Opponent has 4 blockers remaining. 19-4 = 15 damage trampling through.
Does something need clarification? Check out the official Rules and Assumptions to see if your answer lies within.
Want to puzzle for prizes?
Possibility Storm Patrons get some extra perks like prize draws and early puzzle access. Competitive Patrons also submit answers, earn points on our seasonal leaderboard, and take home so sweet prizes for finishing in top spots!
Thanks and see you next week!